Friday, May 18, 2012

Man 48


 The guilt eats at me every time I make up another silly excuse.
"Another bowling night?" my wife Stacey complains, "Why don't you ever just want to stay at home with me anymore?"
"Babe I promised Luther we'd get in some practice before the final tournament." Another work of fiction.
I barely got out of their alive
Lisa is the relatively new secretary at the office, and I was the lucky man that got to show
her around. As we walked down the long hallways, and I showed her the ropes, I felt like a little boy as I glanced at her sheepishly. I think I may have even blushed, especially when she kissed my cheek as a thank you for showing her around. Driving home after that wasn't the easiest task, my thoughts were clouded with her laugh, her smile…even her beautiful voice. Getting away from Stacey so that I could be alone in our bedroom to call her was even harder. Not only did I have to lie a lot, but I had to deal with the hurt in my wife's  eyes. 
 Stacey's eyes…in the moment that Lisa leaned in to hug me, I stepped back with my hands up high.
"Lisa nobody at work has to know…alright?"
     As my words slowly sank in, so did the pain in this other woman's eyes. Am I a monster of some sort? Without saying anything paced backward out the door, and practically ran to the parked car. As soon as I started driving I deliberated on whether to tell Stacey the truth, I mean it's what she deserved, she was my beautiful, wonderful, pregnant, wife. But  what if she was so angry at me, that she ended our relationship and filed for divorce? My last thoughts before my entire body went into panic mode had something to do with how I'd never ever want to be apart from my Stacey.

2 comments:

  1. We don't think like the last paragraph. The rest was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't think like the last paragraph. The rest was good.

    ReplyDelete